Laser measuring systems
assoc. prof. dr. Matija Jezeršek
Lectures and tutorials cover laser systems for measuring distances, speeds, 3d surface shapes at micro and macro levels and 3d deformations. Lab work is an important part of the course, where the content of the lectures is tested and upgraded so that students create measurement systems, perform test measurements with them, and process and interpret the data appropriately.
The following pre-knowledge is recommended for successful study:
• Physics (geometry optics, wave optics)
• Basic principles of lasers
• Computer programming
Content (Syllabus outline):
- Building blocks of laser measurement systems
- Laser triangulation technique for 3d scanning
- Calibration techniques
- 3d measurement using Time-of-flight principle
- Post-processing of measured data
Objectives and competences:
In scope of the Laser measurement systems course, the students will:
• become aware of the significance of measurement technology,
• earn the ability to select suitable measurement systems in the working process,
• develop a perception about the continuous improvement of manufacturing and diagnostic processes.
The students will earn the following subject-specific competences:
• knowing the fundamental principles of laser measurement technology,
• knowing the characteristics, advantages and limitations of individual laser measurement methods,
• knowing the applications of laser measurement systems,
• practical knowledge in the field of development of laser measurement systems.
Intended learning outcomes:
Knowledge and understanding
The students will:
• understand the basic physical laws in the field of laser measurement technology;
• understand the operation of different laser measurement methods, their characteristics, structure and applications;
• know the basic operations in digital image processing;
• know the state-of-the-art in the field of laser measurement systems;
• know the procedures used for planning and developing the individual laser measurement methods.