14. – 18. september 2020
at the Faculty of mechanical engineering, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
The project is co-funded by the EU financed ROSIN project.
Learn the basics of Robot Operating System (ROS), the most popular robotics middleware!
ROS summer school will be held in Ljubljana, in September, highlighting the state-of-the-art achievements of the ROSin European project.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, remote attendance will be possible. We are developing a mobile robot, which will be mailed to the participants. Even if you are unable to travel, you can still work with a real robot from the comfort of your office (or your home)!
In five days, the participants will learn the basics of the Robot Operating System (ROS) and how to use it with a custom-developed low-cost mobile robot and with industrial robot arms from Fanuc.
Day 1: ROS basics
- Working with Linux
- Introduction to ROS
- Remote control of the mobile robot
Day 2: Robot hardware and software
- Motors, control, and parameter tuning
- Sensors and sensory input processing
- Simulating robots with ROS/Gazebo
Day 3: Localisation and navigation
- Mapping space
- Simultaneous localisation and mapping
Day 4: ROS-Industrial
- Describing robots with URDF
- Introduction to ROS-Industrial
- Introduction to MoveIt!
Day 5: Pick and place
- Using ROS with industrial robots
- Simulating pick-and-place operations
- Demonstrations with Fanuc industrial robots
Required knowledge and skills
No prior experience with ROS is required for joining the summer school. Basic knowledge of programming (preferably in C/C++ or Python) is recommended.
All the materials, including a bootable USB drive and a mobile robot, will be provided for participants, even if they choose to attend remotely.
The registration cost is 500 EUR and includes
- 5-day attendance with live presentations, demonstrations, and tutorials.
- A newly-developed ROS-compatible mobile robot with a distance-measurement sensor, an IMU, and encoders (check out the development blog).
- A bootable USB drive with everything pre-installed (Ubuntu OS, ROS, required libraries and packages, training materials).
In case of remote participation, the robot and the USB key will be mailed to the participant!
All source materials will also be made open source and will be available on Github.
Prerequisite software and hardware for remote attendees provided!